Saturday, June 23, 2012

International Widow's Day

Today, June 23, is International Widow's Day. It is a United Nations ratified day of action to address the “poverty and injustice faced by millions of widows and their dependents in many countries”. While I don't live in a country that shuns it's widows, or worse, and I have not suffered any great injustices, I still have experienced the "stigma" of being a relatively young widow. 

I want to thank each and every widow that I know personally and via the Internet. I cannot stress enough how tough the past two and a half years have been for me and how much my widow(er) friends have been there for me. I was so distraught with grief in those first few months (OK, maybe my intense grief lasted well over the first year) that I seriously did not want to live in this cruel world. I did not want to live in a world without Chris. 

Don't even get me started with the horrors that I had to witness.

However, in addition to my family (which includes Chris's family), there was a group of people that supported me. They let me know that it was OK to feel what I was feeling and that they were always going to be there for me. Those are my "widda's". Most of my smiles and belly laughs come from having dinner with them. Or reading something that one has written on the Internet. 

They "get it". At two and a half years, I don't have to hide my tears from them. I don't have to hear how I have to move on or get over it. They have been and always will be there for me. 

Even though I am moving forward with my life and I am reaching those goals that I have set, I will always need and have my widda's to walk with me every step of the way.

4 comments:

  1. And you walk with us, so thank you and thank God for that. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann I am so glad that you have so many wonderful people in your life helping you through this. I am also so, so happy for you and your new daughter! You deserve every bit of it and much more! Hugs to you.

    Lorri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, I am a new widow of 7 months. My husband of almost 16 years had a heart attack in the bed beside me. I stumbled across your blog and your words echo mine, but people are telling me to get over him and move on. We were 4 days short of being married for 16 years, but we were together for 17. I am so so sorry you didn't make it to your 5. God bless you and your babies.

    ReplyDelete