Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Forever Young

Every time I hear this song, I think of Chris.  I was never excited about growing old, but after meeting Chris and having our morning coffee everyday, I actually looked forward to growing old with him.  We live on a semi-major road.  At all times of the day and night, cars are driving past.  Chris would always joke that when we got old we would still have our coffee on the porch.  We would replace the comfy wicker chairs with rockers.  He said that every time a car would speed past too fast or would have it's radio up too loud that when we were old he would pump his fist in the air and say "Darned you kids!!  Slow down" or "turn down that crap that you call music, in my day we had MUSIC, not that crap that you kids listen to these days."  And the smile on his face as he said it was priceless.  I have yet to have my coffee on the porch anymore, it's just too painful.  As a matter of fact, I have only sat on the porch once since the incident.  I had always thought that life was worth living when Chris was in my life.  I actually looked forward to getting old and sharing my life with him.  We were robbed of that.  I no longer wish to grow old.  I will be the old lady on the block that kids are afraid of, instead of cats, I'll have dogs.  I just can't see my future anymore.  I wish that I could have grown old with Chris.  But, Chris will always be "Forever Young"

1 comment:

  1. Being of a different generation, I didn't know this song, and thought of Dylan when I saw the title! As for the concept... oh yes. Jerry was 20 years older than me and was already 56 when we met, but I told him I wanted 50 years of marriage - later upped it to 65. I wanted to be with him forever, I wanted us to be that happy old couple.

    Being part of this zombie world of widows wasn't part of my plan, not at all. We don't deserve to be here.

    Thinking of you, Ann.

    ReplyDelete